The dish came about as so many do. I was searching for inspiration in the fridge and found only cold, leftover cooked pasta and a head of green cabbage.
Cabbage and noodles can seem ho-hum, but more than one civilization has applied culinary alchemy to them and made greatness happen. I won’t claim this dish has some profound international pedigree, but it came together fast, it was cheap and filling and everyone – even the kids – agreed it was delicious.
Cabbage and Pasta Step-by-Step
Rough shred cabbage and cook it in a large skillet. Let the cabbage brown in places – this makes it much sweeter.
Add in the cooked pasta, a dollop of whole grain mustard, a healthy drizzle of cream and some water.
Cook everything together until the sauce thickens and nicely coats the pasta and cabbage. Season and eat! So easy, but really delicious.
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons mild whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- If necessary, cook pasta and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is browned in places and just tender.
- Add cooked pasta, mustard, cream and water to the skillet and to incorporate mustard.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is hot through and tender and sauce has reduced to coat the pasta and cabbage.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve right away.
What’s your favorite easy meal from leftovers and pantry staples?