“Fuck,” I thought. “Now I’m going to be in print forever, quoted as saying I’m a failure if I buy carrots at Costco. I already buy fucking carrots at fucking Costco. Why did I just say that? Fuckfuckfuck.”
- My son up-ended my pot of leek starts last summer and stomped them into oblivion and I’m down to a single storage onion. I will be buying onions at the store. Soon.
- In October I was so burnt out from caring for the garden, the animals, the kids, the home, the preserving and the various extended activities of the homestead that I wrote my friend that I wanted to take a blowtorch to the whole thing.
- Sometimes I feed my kids a lot of cheese, which is expensive and primarily not local or organic, just because I don’t have to go outside in the rain and pick cheese.
- One year I grew nothing – nothing – but weeds. I don’t think I even put in a tomato start from the big box store.
- I found a half a hot dog wrapped up in my purse a few days ago. No bun. It had been stashed there a few days prior after I fed the family at – you guessed it – Costco. We were there because we needed printer paper and toner, but not carrots.